Monday, October 18, 2010

A day at the Texas Book Festival

What a day! The weather was perfect as hundreds of people milled around buying books, listening to authors’ readings, getting their books autographed, and just enjoying a day of books, books, books. I’m referring to this past weekend and the Texas Book Festival. The beautiful grounds surrounding the Capitol Building in Austin had children running up and down some of the hilly mounds, slurping snow cones, and coming in for storytime from some of the children’s book authors, including myself.

How awesome that as I was reading my latest book, The Battle of the Snow Cones, there was a snow cone stand right next to the tent. So appropriate. So who did I sit next to this time at the booksigning tent? I was sandwiched in between three-time Caldecott winner writer/illustrator David Wiesner and children’s book author Monica Brown. Mr. Wiesner was just leaving as I got there and Ms. Brown had just arrived as I was leaving. So I didn’t really get to meet with them although I did introduce myself to Ms. Brown who was most gracious. See what I mean when you get to do the Texas Book Festival? You meet all sorts of famous people. I did catch Wiesner’s book reading. Fantastic, of course.

For book lovers everywhere, this was an afternoon made just for them.  


Booksigning

Snow Cone Stand

Texas Book Festival
 "Surprise is what keeps readers turning the pages and writers filling them up." -- James Howe

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I had been there! It sounds like it was a wonderful event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great event. And I even got an unexpected surprise. I will blog about it next time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: