Friday, March 25, 2011

Writing books for children

If you’ve just started writing books for children, have you been wondering what subject to write about? I know when I first started, I had so many ideas that it was hard to focus on one. However, you do need to stay focused and decide on a topic, what target audience you’re aiming your book for, what age group, etc. Here is a link to a video that addresses some of these issues. It might help you figure out where it is you want to start. The video, “What Should I Write About?” is narrated by Jon Bard of Children’s Book Insider or http://www.cbiclubhouse.com/.  So take a look and go for it.


Recently a writer friend of mine, Crystal Allen, got published by Harper Collins. Her middle-grade debut novel, How Lamar’s Bad Prank Won a Bubba-Sized Trophy, is getting all kinds of great reviews. Crystal and I met at a writers’ workshop in Chautauqua, New York. I saw her again last summer at the SCBWI-LA conference. She also did an awesome interview on Cynsations blog. Her hard work paid off. I could not be happier for her. Congratulations, Crystal!

"The young child's mind is very much like a poet's mind." -- Charlotte Zolotow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: