According to Pat Mora’s website, “The goals of this observance from its inception have included a daily commitment to:
- honor children and childhood,
- promote literacy, the importance of linking all children to books, languages, and cultures,
- honor home languages and cultures, and thus promoting bilingual and multilingual literacy in this multicultural nation, and global understanding through reading,
- involve parents as valued members of the literacy team,
- promote library collection development that reflects our plurality."