Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Awards and Diversity in Children's Books

I’ve been reading the latest issue, July/August 2013, of The Horn Book magazine. This is a special
one focusing on the 2013 Awards (Newbery, Caldecott, Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal, Coretta Scott King Award -CSK) and the acceptance speeches given by each winner: Katherine Applegate, (Newbery), Jon Klassen (Caldecott), Katherine Paterson (Wilder), Andrea Davis Pinkney (Author - CSK), and Bryan Collier (Illustrator – CSK). I must tell you that I was extremely moved by the comments and encouraging words of inspiration mentioned by the award winners. 
 
It’s wonderful to read how they got started, their diverse backgrounds, their respect for children, their journey to where they are now, and what the future holds for them. Hooray to all of them for their awesome books that bring joy to young and old alike! Here is a link to these and other awards. Enjoy.
 
And here’s a good article, “10 Great Multicultural Children’s Books,” by Emily Temple posted on the Flavorwire blog that addresses diversity (or lack of it) in children’s books. She compiled a list of “a few great children’s books with diverse characters and stories …” 
 
I’ve enjoyed reading a few of those myself. How about you? Have you read any of them? Those that I have not read, I will add to my list. 

A quote from Madeleine L’Engle from The Horn Book magazine, July/Aug 2013 issue: “You have to write the book that wants to be written… And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”

2 comments:

Comments: