Saturday, July 30, 2011

Writing contest entries

I mentioned in a previous post a few days ago that SCBWI/Amazon.com awarded me a WIP grant. I consider it a sort of contest because besides the application, I submitted a sample of my writing plus a synopsis and a brief summary of how I intended to use the grant. I followed their guidelines to a “T.”  I also mentioned in a long-ago post that being a winner in a national writing contest is what gave me the confidence to leap into the world of writing. Which brings me to the topic of writing contests.

How many how you entered lately? Jan Fields, Institute of Children’s Literature web editor, has an excellent post on the ICL blog about this topic. Besides following the contest guidelines, she offers “Ten Tips for Contest Entries,” which is a must read if you’ve ever considered taking the plunge and entering one. Here’s a couple of contests you might consider: Pockets Annual Fiction Contest. Entries for this contest must be postmarked no later than August 15, 2011. Highlights 2012 Fiction Contest. Have fun. Let me know the outcome. ENTER!

Assisi, Italy
"I like the idea that magic can be hidden under the surface of everyday life." -- Trina Schart Hyman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: