Thursday, January 7, 2010


A few days ago, I got a phone call from one of my young relatives. Her voice bubbling over with excitement, she told me her good news. A short story she submitted to a publisher was accepted for publication in an anthology. This was a first for her. I was thrilled. She thanked me for encouraging her to submit her manuscript. It all happened a few months earlier when in an email, she asked if I would take a look at something she’d written. I could tell she was nervous but willing to take a chance on a critique. After reading her draft, I suggested a few minor changes and encouraged her to submit it. “It’s really good,” I said. “You should go ahead and submit it. You need to take a leap of faith.” And she did. If you ever have the honor of encouraging an aspiring writer, do it. It is as rewarding for you as it is for that writer. We all need each other’s support.

Wishing you a productive writing day.

“A relaxed mind is an open mind, and an open mind is prepared to accept new and creative ideas. Remind yourself to enjoy the craft.” – Writer’s Digest Weekly Planner

2 comments:

  1. What a nice thing to read! I'm so happy she is getting published and that you encouraged her. We all know how it feels when it happens for the first time. I'm tickled for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Catherine. I remember getting encouragement from other writers when I was just starting out. Feels good to get moral support from your peers.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: