Friday, January 22, 2010

New perspective


I was just editing some pages from a manuscript I filed away several months ago and found myself thoroughly enjoying it. Why? Because I believe in my story. My heart and soul are in it. I had not read this particular manuscript in ages. An editor that I contacted wants to see a couple of chapters so I brought it out, dusted it off, edited and revised a few sentences, and am going to send it out. I think sometimes getting away for a while from whatever it is you’re working on brings a new perspective and freshness when you view it again. Not that the premise isn’t there or anything like that. It’s just minor stuff that you see after not having seen it for a while. Minor stuff that will make it better. You somehow know it. So I shall be going to the post office in a few minutes to mail those few pages. It will be some time before I hear back. We all know that. Editors get hundreds of manuscripts every day. One thing writers have to learn is to be patient – big time. In the meantime, we continue to write, nourishing our souls along the way.

"Writing is a pleasure, and I feel that if I did not enjoy writing, no one would enjoy reading my books." -- Beverly Cleary

2 comments:

  1. That's why I always file the stories I give up on - stuck in the middle, or decide on finishing that they weren't worthwhile, that kind of thing. Then when I'm rearranging files or wondering what my next project is, I flip through them again and realize: "Oh, that's what was wrong! I can fix that!" If you have a besetting sin, it will leap out at you from these old manuscripts.

    I hope the editor recognizes your worth, everything comes together at their end, and sending in those chapters works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Peni. It was really fun "discovering" it again. And thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: