Thursday, March 3, 2011

Regional writer's conference

Last weekend I attended the Austin SCBWI regional conference. In attendance were editors, agents, illustrators, and authors.  It was a thrill seeing author Carolyn Coman (Newbery Honor for What Jamie Saw) again. She was one of the faculty at a writer’s workshop I attended a while back in  Pennsylvania. And she remembered me!! Another exciting moment for me came when I was in a small group at the conference and one of the editors speaking was Michelle Poploff of Delacorte. She is the editor for the 2010 Newbery Medal book, Moon over Manifest, written by Clare Vanderpool. I had just finished reading the book the day before, which by the way, I thoroughly enjoyed. I happen to love historical fiction. Another favorite author who writes in this genre is Donna Jo Napoli.

Writer’s conferences are part of the writing process so I try to attend whenever I can. It gives me a chance to get feedback from editors and agents and catch up with the latest in the publishing world. It’s always great to see old friends and make new ones. It’s a great way to get inspired, being among peers who have the same passion for writing. Have you made plans to attend one? What are you waiting for?

I got a pleasant surprise the other day. My book, Lupita's Papalote, was the February 2011 Children's Pick at the independent bookstore, Dulce Bread & Book Shop, in Dripping Springs, Texas.

Homemade kites!

“Workshops and conferences are a great source of information and inspiration, no matter your experience level.” – Writing Tip from Writer’s Digest Weekly Planner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: