Sunday, February 12, 2012

Excellent Read

I just finished reading the 2012 Newbery Medal book, Dead End in Norfelt, by Jack Gantos. It was an excellent read. I really enjoyed it. You might want to listen to a five-minute mini-documentary provided by TeachingNet.com where Gantos talks about his love of journaling and writing. I am in the mood for reading so I also bought two of Richard Peck's books, The Teacher's Funeral, and The River Between Us. Of course, I recommend my friend Lupe's book, Under the Mesquite, which is written in verse and got the Pura Belpre Award.

Rio Grande Valley
Five Questions for Jane Yolen,” is also something you might want to read. The Horn Book blog post by Roger Sutton features an interview with Yolen about her book, Snow in Summer. According to the post, Yolen has over 300 titles to her name. Yikes! I have a lot of catching up to do. It was my pleasure to have met Ms. Yolen at a writer’s retreat a few years back. She was charming and supportive of all the aspiring writers there, including yours truly. 

"The only way to fail is to not write the book you care about." - Libba Bray (From Ingrid’s Notes blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: