Tuesday, August 14, 2012

2012 SCBWI-LA Conference

Absolutely amazing is all I can say. I just returned from the SCBWI-LA conference (after taking a side trip to visit family for another week in California) and am now getting ready to digest and decipher my notes from the Los Angeles conference. I attended a workshop conducted by the famous author, Newbery Medalist, Linda Sue Park, of A Single Shard. She did not disappoint. The session was intense and covered so much that I found myself whipping out notes as fast as I could. Her class was a combination of writing exercises and lecture all intended to make our work-in-progress shine. She provided excellent writing tips on scenes, pacing, internal and external quests, layering, endings, and revisions, revisions, revisions.   

Author and Patricia MacLachlan
Author and Karen Cushman
Author and Linda Sue Park

 A great treat for me was the Autograph Party on Sunday night. Newbery Medalists, Linda Sue Park, Karen Cushman (The Midwife’s Apprentice, 1996), and Patricia MacLachlan (Sarah, Plain and Tall, 1986) signed copies of my books. Imagine that! It was thrilling!

Autograph Party
These are some of the pictures I took at the conference. Not only was the event productive, but I enjoyed the camaraderie of other writers and illustrators and the inspiring speeches by the wonderful keynote speakers. I highly recommend attending the annual conference if you can. Happy writing!


Bookstore
Conference Session


 
If a man is keeping an idea to himself, and that idea is taken by stealth or trickery-I say it is stealing. But once a man has revealed his idea to others, it is no longer his alone. It belongs to the world.”  -- Linda Sue Park from A Single Shard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: