Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Creative Writing Prompts

I enjoy going to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I love the wide open skies and the Sandia mountains looming over the city, changing color as the day goes by. Tumbleweeds roll across the road as the winds help them along. Historic Old Town in downtown Albuquerque is vibrant and colorful. I can see why some artists and writers find inspiration there and are attracted to that city.

But as a writer, you don't have to wait for inspiration or visit another city. All you need to do is sit down in front of that computer and write! Easy to say, right? I know it's hard staring at a blank screen sometimes. If you're like me, you try to find excuses to get out of that chair. But it takes discipline to stay put. Try some writing prompts to get you started. Or pick one word and write around it. Sometimes what I do is start this way: I remember when ..... Or I would really like to write about ....(something you don't know anything about but wish you did). I know it sounds simple but I’ve heard the expression of keeping “butt in chair.” Try it. You might just find out it really works.

Albuquerque
 But if you’re still having trouble getting those creative juices started, try some simple prompts.  The following website has tons of writing prompts to choose from: CreativeWritingPrompts.

“A room without books is like a body without soul.” -- Cicero

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: