Friday, September 24, 2010

Illustrators - Editor's Day

I mentioned Editor's Day in my previous blog. Writer/illustrator Carolyn Flores' blog elaborates a bit more on this event, especially from the illustrator's point of view. One of the highlights of that day was the portfolio display by many of our area illustrators. There is so much talent as evidenced by what we saw in those portfolios. 

Rio Grande Valley

I have been writing this morning and took a break to reread some of the passages in the book, Bird by Bird written by Anne Lamott. Some of the phrases, which I had highlighted: "... to do is to write down as much as I can see through a one-inch picture frame.  - ... to pick up the one-inch picture frame and to figure out a one-inch piece of my story to tell, one small scene, one memory, one exchange."

Sometimes when I'm writing and I feel overwhelmed, I take Lamott's advice --  piece by piece, bird by bird.  

"It is not remembering the incidents that took place when you were young that enables you to write for young people; it is remembering the emotions that accompanied those incidents." -- Sue Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: