Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Creating Mystery Novels

Some of my writer friends are good at creating mystery novels. Unfortunately, I am not. I struggle with this type of writing. I don’t even know how to start. Are you like me? I really have a lot to learn when it comes to writing mysteries. I have never tried that genre. Maybe someday I will.   

Here are excerpts from a book that might help you with this topic. On the Writer’s Digest blog, the post, “Writing a Mystery Novel: Creating a Villain & 5 Ways to Justify a Crime,” some questions asked about your villain are: “… what happened to make that character the way she is. Was she born bad, or turned sour as a result of some early experience? If your villain has a grudge against society, why? If she can’t tolerate being jilted, why? You may never share your villain’s life story with your reader, but to make a complex, interesting villain, you need to know.”  
Spooky, huh?

There’s a recommended book on writing mysteries in that post if you want to pursue this type of writing.  

“With a first novel, don’t send a query letter to agents or editors until the work is complete and revised. You need to be able to demonstrate that you are capable of finishing a novel.” – Writer’s Digest Weekly Planner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: