Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sheer joy of reading

On my way back from the store, I checked my mail (regular snail mail, not e-mail). I smiled when I saw that my latest issue of Poets and Writers had arrived. Oh, good, I thought. An evening of reading. I had also stopped at the library to pick up a book I’ve been wanting to read. More reading. There are days when you just want to relax and read for enjoyment. I don’t consider this a waste of time away from my daily writing. This is all part of the writing process. Take a break once in a while. Nurture yourself as a writer. Get into that comfortable corner where you have your favorite chair and read for the sheer joy of it. It’s good for the soul. Someday others will enjoy reading what you have written too. How much do you enjoy reading and what kind of books?

By the way, I have mentioned before that I journal—not every day but pretty often. Here is a picture of just some of my journals that I have filled up. I have plenty more. And here is a link that is all about moleskin journals, which by the way I own one that I got as a gift and I cherish it.


“A journal can be an invaluable tool for recording ideas, impressions, and anecdotes for future use. It can also help your career by instilling in you the habit of writing regularly.” –Writer’s Digest Weekly Planner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: